Fish tacos always resurrect memories of summer days spent working up an appetite alongside the ocean. Some of the best fish tacos I’ve ever eaten are the ones I’ve gotten from boxy beach huts down by the shore. Nothing beats spending a hot afternoon swimming through cool, wavy water, only to finish it off by getting messy with a fresh fish taco.
While I’m unfortunately not down at the beach, I’ve still been enjoying some fantastic warm, sunny weather. To go along with it, I’ve also decided to whip up some light and fresh fish tacos so I can enjoy them too.
I decided to switch up the classic recipes that I’m used to tasting and throw in some of those nutrient-loaded sweet potatoes to compliment the salmon I chose for my base. The naturally creamy sweetness of the potatoes, along with the tender fish and fresh, crunchy cabbage slaw definitely made for a winning combination. Cabbage is coming to its prime, so if it’s not growing in your garden, be on the lookout for it at your local farmer’s market.
You can bet I’ll be making some variation of these again. Hopefully I can make it to the beach by that time for a little extra inspiration!
- -4 small corn tortillas
- -2 medium sweet potatoes, cooked (1 1/3 cups)
- -2 tsp. Sriracha
- -2 tsp. soy sauce
- -Scant 1/4 cup wild baby spring onion tops (onion grass) or chives, finely chopped
- -1 cup coleslaw
- -4- 3 oz. salmon fillets or 12 oz. salmon
- -Salt and pepper
- -Olive oil
- Combine sweet potatoes, Sriracha, soy sauce, and onions/chives in a small bowl. Mash together.
- Position oven rack on a setting about 6 inches from broiler. Warm up the broiler.
- Meanwhile, line broiler pan with aluminum foil (optional). Brush both sides of salmon with olive oil, and place skin side down on pan. Place in oven, and broil both sides, flipping halfway. Broil time will depend on the thickness of your cuts of fish, but start with 3-5 minutes per side.
- Remove from oven. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and squeeze of lemon juice. Let rest for a few minutes while you assemble the taco.
- Spread 1/3 cup sweet potato mixture in the middle of a corn tortilla. Top with 3 oz. of cooked salmon. Finish with 1/4 cup cole slaw. Assemble remaining tacos, and serve.