As snow pea season draws to an end and green beans of all colors begin to make an appearance, this salad threw itself together and landed on my table. I had a huge bag of snow peas waiting in the fridge, and while I spend hours picking them at my work, I just never know what to with the edible pods. As easy as it is for me to skim over them on the bushes, for me, they often camouflage right into the dishes they’re used in too. I like snow peas, but they never tend to be my favorite part of the stir fry. Since I knew I wouldn’t get a chance to cook with anymore this season, this time I decided to let the snow peas I had be one of the stars, pairing them with no other components except green beans.
I just picked up one of my first batches of green beans. That’s one vegetable that’s always been a star in my diet. It’s weird to think about now, but growing up I absolutely loathed broccoli, and like most kids, greens weren’t my favorite dinner item either. But green beans, I could never get enough of. To this day, they’re still one of my favorites, although broccoli and kale have climbed their way up the list too.
Anyways, I wasn’t sure about modifying my favorite green bean steam with snow peas, but it turns out that snow peas and green beans were made for each other. The individual flavors of each vegetable distinctly stand out in this dish, and the dressing is kept on the light side to help enhance this distinction. The green beans have a faint sweetness that works well with the more earthy tones of the snow peas. I like my snow peas a little more on the tender side, so I cook them here until they’ve reached that point. If you like them crunchy, as typically prepared in stir-fry, check in on them a little on the early side.
Today, I’m also hosting a giveaway from Stonyfield. Enter to win coupons for FREE Stonyfield Organic Chocolate Dipped Frozen Yogurt Bars in addition to one FREE bottle of Uncle Matt’s Organic Juice. Here’s how you enter.
How to enter: (Leave a separate comment per entry.)
This contest closes on **Tuesday, July 19, 2011 at 9:00 p.m. EST** and is open to USA visitors only.
1) Leave a comment on this post telling me what’s your favorite summer treat
2) Become a fan of F-F-F on Facebook
3) Follow me on Twitter
4) Link this giveaway on one of your blog posts and let me know that you did
5) Retweet this on Twitter: @GraceDickinson is giving away Stonyfield at Food-Fitness-FreshAir: http://bit.ly/dzXamL
One winner will be chosen at random by random.org.
- -1 lb. green beans, trimmed
- -3/4 lb. snow peas, trimmed
- -2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- -1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- -1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- -1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- -1/2 large red onion, thinly sliced
- -Salt, optional
- Place steamer basket in large pot over boiling water. Steam green beans for 5 minutes. Add snow peas, and steam additional 2 minutes. Drain, and run under cold water to stop the cooking process.
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, pepper, and mustard. Toss in green beans, peas, and onions. Add pinch of salt, if needed. Serve.