If you haven’t noticed by now, I’m a fan of vegetarian sausage. (Rather than insert a joke here, sausage recipe inserted instead). Seriously though, it’s the one faux meat product that, in general, is consistently tasty. It must be all the herbs/spices they pump in there, which renders it free of too many needed adjustments. All you really have to do is finish it off with a few quality toppings, and vegetarian sausage suffices as a rather satisfying and easy meal. And that’s without nearly the grease content of the meat-filled links.
For this meal, I called on roasted beets and avocado to spruce up the veg. links I had. Beets are in full throttle at my CSA job, and I figured if I’m going to get my hands all red for the customers, I might as well continue tie-dying them for my own dinner. The red roots make great sandwich toppers. They add a soft, yet steaky component to the bread, with a sweet flavor that pairs perfectly with the savory sausage. And I can never get enough avocado. It’s a creamy addition that lends itself well to almost everything. For an extra hit of flavor, whip up some cilantro guacamole to spread on the bread. Serve with a side of salsa or hot sauce, and enjoy!
- -4 vegetarian sausage links
- -4 whole wheat hot dog rolls
- -4 beets
- -Olive oil
- -Salt and pepper
- -1-2 avocados, depending on size
- Preheat oven 425F. Link baking sheet with aluminum foil. Wash beets, and trim ends. If beets are small-medium, leave whole. If beets are large, slice in half. Place them on baking sheet, and lightly coat with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place another sheet of aluminum foil on top, and pinch edges of both sheets together to make a pocket.
- Place in oven and bake 1 hour, or until fork easily pierces beets. Remove from oven.
Once beets are cool enough to handle, slice into 1/2 inch slices. Mash avocado and layer one side of bread with the spread. Lightly drizzle extra virgin olive oil on other side of bread, and hot sauce, if desired. Place veg. sausage inside and top with sliced beets. Serve with a side of salsa.