Roasted Veggies- Take 2

I roasted up some more veggies, and this time I added portobello mushrooms and basil to the mix.  My basil has finally kicked into high gear, so I have more than enough to use in my favorite dishes like pesto, and in new ones like this too.

Basil’s fragrance alone gets me all giddy.  I’d rather smell like a bouquet of basil than some $100 bottle of perfume.  It reminds me of a cold shower, but even cleaner.  But moving away from bathing and basil comparisons…

Like other herbs, basil’s not just a compact ball of flavor, but of nutrients too.  It specifically boasts of significant levels of vitamins A and K.  Can you believe that in just 2 Tbsp. of basil, you’ll get 27% of you daily value of vitamin K?  And that’s within just the one mere calorie you’ll be consuming.  Hence why they say if you’re looking for a slim way to boost your dishes with flavor, turn to herbs.

And while I love the smell, it’s the flavor of basil that keeps me hooked.   Here, it added an extra Italian emphasis to my original marinade, distinctively changing the original taste of the dish.  I found both results to be equally delicious, so you can try it both ways if you have basil on hand.  Make sure to add a generous handful of basil if you’re looking for a switch up from the original recipe.  This way that clean flavor will really shine through.

For me, roasted veggies never get boring, especially when there are so many simple ways to play with their resulting flavor.  The cooking method is also a good way to take advantage of all those summer items coming in season at once.  Which includes eggplant, a veggie that took a good roasting to make me fall in love with it.

Karen
    September 13, 2011 at 6:23 am

I love roasted vegetables this time of the year. Since I still have so much basil in the garden, I’ll add some to the mix next time. Thanks for the suggestion.

Brinn
    September 13, 2011 at 7:22 am

Can I have your recipe? My roasted vegetables don’t end up looking like yours…perhaps the roasting temperature, time or if you can put more than one pan in at a time….

September 13, 2011 at 7:25 am

These vegetables look AMAZING! I Could seriously eat roasted veggies all day everyday, especially when they include portobello mushroom!
    I love your new new business idea; bottled basil. Brilliant idea! Who needs perfume and flowers when you can smell like fresh basil?!

Christina
    September 13, 2011 at 9:25 pm

I LOVE roasted vegetables! I love the portobello mushroom thrown in! 🙂

Hannah (BitterSweet)
    September 15, 2011 at 9:10 am

Such a beautiful dish of veggies… Check out those colors! Roasting is basically the best way to prepare just about anything, if you ask me. It’s so simple, and creates such deep, complex flavors. It’s also perfect for cold days when the oven helps warm up the kitchen!

vivape
    September 15, 2011 at 2:41 pm

That sounds fantastic, cant wait to try it.

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday
    September 20, 2011 at 9:13 am

I LOVE roasted vegetables. I think it really brings out their flavour.
    They’re so versatile too. Last time I roasted veggies I used the leftovers in a frittata.

Arizer Solo