I very rarely eat salmon, but I’ve got to admit, it’s one of my favorites as a pescetarian. I happen to love smoked salmon in almost any form. One of my favorite ways to utilize it is by placing it on a sandwich. The following recipe spruces up the classic smoked salmon and cream cheese, while adding in little heart healthy monounsaturated fat from some avocado and ditching the cholesterol, artery-clogging cheese. With a little healthy crunch (lettuce), kick (wasabi) and a twist (avocado spread), all paired with my favorite wild Alaskan smoked salmon, what more could you ask for in a sandwich?
- -8 thinly sliced pieces of whole wheat sourdough bread
- - 4 ounces of wild smoked salmon
- - 1/2 onion, very thinly sliced
- - 1 avocado
- - 4 tsp. low fat Greek yogurt
- - 2 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- - 1 or more tsp. wasabi powder (Some wasabi powders are spicier than others. Start with a scant tsp. and then increase the wasabi to meet your taste.)
- -4 lettuce leaves
- -Salt, dash
- In a small bowl, combine avocado, lemon juice, yogurt, wasabi, and a dash of salt. Mash ingredients together with a fork until mixture is fairly smooth. Taste and adjust wasabi seasoning as needed.
- Divide avocado mixture between four slices of bread. Top with thinly sliced onion, salmon, and lettuce. Place remaining slices of bread on top to create four sandwiches. Slice in half and serve.