Vegan pesto. It never fails to pull a bunch of ingredients together and make them taste coherently awesome. Originally, I pulled out my last batch of pesto frozen from the fall with intentions of slathering it on baked eggplant. But when I pulled out the eggplant housed in my bottom refrigerator drawer and noticed tan, soft spots speckling its purple skin, I abandoned ship and fleeted towards a different route.
My first thought was pasta, but then I stumbled upon a bag of rice on the way to fetch that pasta, and ended up making this dish: Pesto-Infused Rice with Seitan. It was a hit with everyone in my apartment, and my bet is that it’ll please the people in your household too. If you don’t have pesto stashed away in your freezer, find yourself some basil and simply let your food processor do the work. You can find my vegan recipe inserted below.
- -3/4 cup brown rice
- -1 1/2 cups water
- -1 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
- -1 onion, chopped
- -1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- -1 cup seitan, cubed
- -2 packed cups chopped spinach
- -Heaping 1/2 cup vegan pesto
- -Salt and pepper, to taste
- In medium sauce pan, combine water and rice, cover, and bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer, and cook 45 minutes, until rice is tender.
- In large saute pan, heat olive oil over medium-high. Add onions, bell pepper and seitan. Generally season with salt and pepper. Saute until onions and pepper are tender. Stir in spinach. Add rice and pesto. Adjust salt and pepper, to taste. Serve.