This is a light and refreshing salad that makes a great addition to any meal, particularly a soup-and-salad kind of lunch or as a side to a sandwich. It’s also a quick and easy recipe that’s perfect for potlucks and picnics.
Savory curry powder always pairs well with something a little sweet. Here, raisins do that job well, while contrasting the slightly sour flavors of the goat cheese and hints of lemon. Chickpeas are a staple item in my cabinet, and when I’m not consuming them in their hummus-like form, I’m looking for other ways I can use the fiber-filled legume. They’re a good source of lean, vegetarian protein, and are frequently found in a variety of Mediterranean, Middle Eastern and Indian because of their ability to take on savory spices. This dish is almost as versatile as the chickpea itself, perfectly functional right off the spoon which with you mix the ingredients, or as a tasty pita/wrap filler.
- -2 cups chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- -1 clove garlic, minced
- -1/2 cup celery, thinly sliced
- -1 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
- -2 tsp. curry powder
- -2 tsp. lemon juice
- -1/4 cup raisins
- -1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp. crumbled goat cheese
- -Salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a bowl. Stir in goat cheese and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve as a side salad, or in a wrap/pita.