My friend sent me over a recipe that combined asparagus and avocado on bread, and I knew right away that was a combination I was going to use for the camp-out I was hosting this past Memorial Day weekend. I hadn’t ever thought of putting those two tasty green ingredients together, but the minute the marriage graced my ears, I was sold. I can really be sold on anything with avocado, and I figured my family and friends would agree.
The best part about summer is being able to wake up in the morning, walk out to the garden, and pick the food that’s going to end up in my stomach that very same day. Fortunately, the camp-out was held at what my friend’s call my mom’s “country castle”. Along with this bucolic kingdom comes a garden full of asparagus. I dream of the day I have an asparagus forest of my own and will be joining a community garden the minute my feet are permanently rooted in one city. But for now, luckily I have my mom’s garden to visit, which helps me yield incredibly fresh recipes like this.
If you’re attending a picnic/potluck anytime soon, this is a great way to utilize asparagus and one that will probably pleasantly surprise your friends. I’ve found that avocado and asparagus is a combination that works. I added Parmesan to give this recipe an extra kick of decadence and placed it on rye bread. If you won’t be eating these immediately after preparing, you may want to consider toasting the bread first.
- -10 pieces of rye bread
- -2 ripe avocadoes
- -1 lb. asparagus, ends trimmed and cut in half or into thirds
- -4 large cloves garlic, cut into thirds
- -1/2 lemon
- -4 oz. Parmesan, freshly grated
- -Extra virgin olive oil
- -Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line large baking sheet with aluminum foil. Toss asparagus and garlic with olive oil to lightly coat. Season with salt and pepper, and bake 15-20 minutes, or until asparagus are tender, stirring halfway.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Mash avocado in a bowl with juice of 1/2 lemon. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Spread a layer of avocado onto the rye bread. Top with 3 pieces of asparagus. Scatter garlic pieces. Grate Parmesan over top, and season with another sprinkle of salt and pepper, if desired.