The first wave of pumpkin in the culinary arena did not make me happy. Pumpkin spice lattes at the outset of September? Come on Starbucks, I’m still enjoying summer, thank you very much. Then, my boy had me traversing with him through the city to pick up his new favorite beer, a pumpkin variety of course. The sweaty bike ride to get there made me feel a bit wrong about sipping on the brew, no matter how cold and tasty it was. (Though, if you like pumpkin beer, you have to try this. I’m not even generally the biggest fan, but this one had such a crazy flavor.)
But I admit, I’m a pumpkin lover, not hater, and once my love of boots and sweaters finally pulls me to let go of summer, the orange puree quickly starts creeping into my own culinary world. From soup to oatmeal to cookies, my tastebuds welcome pumpkin in all forms. Luckily, the stuff’s packed with fiber, beta-carotene, vitamin C and potassium, so my body can welcome it, too.
My latest and first pumpkin recipe of the season is this muffin one. These are super moist, reminiscent of everyone’s favorite Thanksgiving pie, but with all the best qualities of a portable cake. They’ll hit the sweet spot, but aren’t overpowering in this way and would definitely serve as a nice breakfast option. If you’re ready for fall, then I’m betting your tastebuds are ready for these.
- -1 cup whole wheat flour
- -1/2 cup white flour
- -3/4 cup light brown sugar
- -1 tsp. baking powder
- -1 tsp. baking soda
- -1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- -Pinch of salt
- -15 oz. pumpkin puree
- -1/2 cup vegetable oil
- -1/4 cup soy milk
- -2 large eggs
- -1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- -1/2 cup chocolate chips, optional
- -Cinnamon and sugar, to sprinkle
- Preheat oven 400F. Place muffin liners in muffin tin.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, pumpkin spice and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk pumpkin, oil, milk, eggs and vanilla extract. Add wet ingredients to dry, and mix until just combined. (Do not over mix.)
- Spoon mixture into muffin tin. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top, if desired. Bake 23-28 minutes, or until toothpick inserted is clean. Lightly dust tops with cinnamon, and if not using choc. chips, dust with sugar as well.
- Cool on wire rack, and then enjoy!