Green Smoothie

I bring you this recipe not because it’s a new, novel idea. Let’s get real. Green smoothies are so five years ago. However, a phased-out fad they are not. These powerhouse shakes can still be an incredibly life-changing diet addition and shouldn’t be forgotten. (Insert advertising slogan here. But seriously, they are wonderful.)

For that reason I must say, Green Smoothie, I am sorry for forgetting you. Once a daily drink, I let you leave my life for weeks and weeks too many. Never again.

I’m not sure when and how I fell off the smoothie bandwagon, but no fruit and greens have been spinning together in my blender lately. Kale, onions and herbs, yes, but no early morning, creamy green creations have been going down, that is, up until springtime finally hit.

I bring you this recipe because perhaps you, like me, need a reminder that green smoothies are a great way to kickstart your day and get your diet back in line. The nutrient-filled drink is packed with vitamins and minerals, meaning lots of energy for you.

As I use the spring season to take time to reorganize my life, I am realizing the value of clean eating and the energy it can provide. It is this energy that I need to prioritize what’s important to me and also to deliberate what is not. Lots of shifting, and changing, and goal reorientation is taking place for me right now. And with all of that, I want to revamp my diet too. A healthy body is a healthy mind, and a huge part of this stems from food.

I am excited to start bringing green smoothies back into my mornings and starting my days off on a high note. Whether you’re making some life changes or not, that’s never a bad game plan. Waking up with a healthy breakfast and a positive attitude is literally the best way to carry on life. Sometimes easier said than done, but I’d say this four-ingredient recipe is a pretty simple start. Enjoy.

Green Smoothie Ingredients

Spring Green Smoothie

Yield: Per glass

Ingredients

• -Spinach, handful
  • -5-7 strawberries, frozen
  • -1/2 apple, chopped (choose a sweeter variety)
  • -Soy or almond milk, 5-8 ounces
  • *Optional add-ins are endless / my favorites include: 1/3 banana, a handful of frozen peaches and/or blueberries, cinnamon and cayenne

Instructions

1. Place apple, then strawberries into a blender. Add torn greens on top. Pour milk over the ingredients.
  2. Blend until smooth, pulsing to help move around any “stuck” ingredients. You may need to stop the blender one or two times and use a long spoon to push the ingredients further down towards the blade. Pour into a tall glass.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin
Tagged with →

13 Responses to Spring Green Smoothie

1. Joanne says:

I’ve (gasp) never had a green smoothie! I so want to get into them but we don’t have a blender. Sigh. I think maybe it’s time to make the investment…

2. Luke says:

Thank you! This is just the reminder I needed to start drinking smoothies again. Like you, I used to drink one every single day but somehow forgot about it. I think it’s because I was tired of using mostly frozen fruit during the winter. But it’s spring now and I’m going to make this smoothie today! :)

3. Pamela says:

My doctor really pushes smoothies over juicing as the fiber of the fruit/veggies is important for digestion, and making you have a sense of fullness longer. I started adding Kale to my morning smoothies. Some days I add a packet of Emergen-C (a 1000mg of Vitamin C, sold in packets). It adds 25 calories, but the really makes the flavor pop especially when I use bland fruits. I use water or a 1/4 a cup of orange juice as my liquid. I have a vitamix, so it can blend smoothies without much liquid and the water in the fruits thins it out enough to pass through a straw.

• grace says:

So true! The fiber in smoothies will take you much further than juices, which while can have a ton of vitamins, can spike your blood sugar and leave you ravishing an hour later. I would LOVE a Vitamix. They really make such a difference in getting kale smoothies super smooth!

4. Hannah says:

Thank you, Grace! This is exactly the recipe I need through my spring/life-revamping, too! Plus, who doesn’t love the ease and comfort of a smoothie.

5. Sounds wonderful. I typically do sweet potato, spinach, frozen blueberries and a half of a banana (and sometimes unsweetened cocoa!).

• grace says:

Love the sweet potato addition. With the blueberries and the spinach, sounds like an ultimate healthy start to your day!

6. Natalie says:

Looks like a yummy smoothie, a great way to start off the day!

7. Bonnie says:

Yum! This is a novel idea for me. I would love more ideas. Maybe I can get my kids to drink them too. I just made my daughter a smoothie tonight with a strawberry, a few frozen chunks of mango, peaches, and spinach, with a squirt of agave and vanilla, a scoop of Greek yogurt, 1/2 scoop of vanilla protein powder and milk. She drank some of it…I finished it! Yum!

• grace says:

That’s wonderful! Smoothies are a great way to get kids introduced to greens, and even fruits too. It surprises me how many fruits kids often turn their noses up at!

8. […] well. Oatmeal simmers away, energy-restoring smoothies whiz in the blender, and breakfast and life goes on — with or without pain au chocolats. On the […]

9. […] the most important thing to keep clean if you want to embody good fortune. Let’s raise a green smoothie to […]