I like cake. Carrot cake. Pancakes. Chocolate molten cake. Quinoa cakes. My ideal diet would include the whole gamut of cakes, the birthday kind excluded.
I’ve had some serious misfortune lately, including a run-in with a Philadelphia tow truck company and a stolen wallet. That first one made me cry. The second incident made me realize life can be hard, but if you just roll with it, then it doesn’t have to feel that way. Having the “things happen for a reason” mentality allows you to avoid a lot of tears. Seriously. Although, I’m still not really sure what life was trying to tell me with that tow truck disaster. I digress…
Anyway, my life as of lately could use a little cake. Unfortunately, after having a huge chunk taken out of my bank account and then becoming wallet-less, I’ve put myself on a food budget. But, that doesn’t mean cake can’t be eaten. On the bright side, I have a stockpile of grains that could probably last me for the next six months. You know, just in case I ever wanted to become the whole grain version of Aladdin.
Using up some ingredients already on hand, this egg and quinoa “cake” was born. Eggs are my go-to for whipping up a quick, and as of lately, cheap, lunch for one. Quinoa cooks relatively quickly too. Although, any leftovers of the grain work perfectly in this recipe. Feel free to experiment with different cheeses, such as a combo of 1/2 parm and 1/2 cheddar.
When life tries to get you down, this is likely the better cake-for-lunch solution. Trust me, I love my share of icing-topped cake too. But when does sugary cake every truly make you feel better?
What will make you feel better, aside from these cakes, is winning a giveaway! MorningStar Farms recently launched a brand new Mediterranean Chickpea Burger. They are collaborating with me to give one lucky reader the opportunity to try the new burger — for free! A few other complimentary goodies will come with the winning ticket as well. Just follow the steps below to enter.
How to enter:
(Leave a separate comment per entry. Each separate comment will give you one entry in the contest.)
This contest closes on **June 16, 2013 at 8:00pm EST**
1) Leave a comment on this post telling me your favorite kind of cake, and why.
2) Leave a comment on this post telling me if you’ve had MorningStar’s new chickpea burger yet.
3) Become a fan of F-F-F on Facebook
4) Follow me on Twitter
5) Link this giveaway on one of your blog posts and let me know that you did.
6) Tweet a variation of this on Twitter:@GraceDickinson is giving away free Mediterranean Chickpea Burgers, the latest from @MorningStrFarms – at FoodFitnessFreshAir.com.
One winner will be chosen at random by random.org.
- -2-3 tsp. garlic oil
- -2 Tbsp. onion, minced
- -1/3 cup cooked quinoa
- -1 extra large egg (or 2 small)
- -1/4 cup extra sharp cheddar
- -2 tsp. chives, chopped
- -1/2 tsp. red chili pepper flakes
- -Hot sauce
- In a small bowl, whisk egg(s). Add quinoa, cheddar, chives, chili pepper flakes and a few dashes of salt, to taste. Stir to combine.
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium high. Add onions and cook until translucent, stirring occasionally. Pour in egg mixture. Use a spatula to shape into a patty, and cook until both sides are brown, about 7-10 minutes per side, flipping halfway through.
- Serve with a side of hot sauce and fresh herbs, if desired.