Radishes

Radishes

This summer, I started a new photo project involving veggies and people – two of my favorite subjects to shoot, of course. Once I complete the series, I’ll give you all more details. It will likely take a bit of time, but so far it’s been a blast and I’m excited to eventually share it with you guys!

For my latest shoot, I got a hold of some radishes fresh from the ground, green tops intact. The peppery veggie was and is a truly lovely ingredient to photograph. Stare at one, from tops to tail, and you’ll notice it has so many aesthetic elements to display. Beautiful.

It’s also a rather beautifully unique ingredient in the kitchen, and somewhat of an infrequently utilized subject of my cooking. Which is why I’d love your help.

I think I’ve featured radishes just once my blog, in this Brown Bread with Radishes recipe. Twice if you count them in this Asparagus Feta Wrap, but here radishes really weren’t the main star.

Both are recipes I’ve repeated on several occasions, but this year, I’m looking for new ideas. I’d love to hear how you use radishes. What are you favorite ways to eat them? Raw? Cooked? Sliced, diced, buttered, braised, pickled? You tell me.

Share with me your standby radish recipes. I’d love to hear them. And make them too!

Joanne
    July 23, 2013 at 7:03 am

I always find radishes to be so GORGEOUS with that hot pink hue but I also rarely use them. Most recently I put them in my green bean slaw sandwiches!

grace
      July 24, 2013 at 11:44 am

Have that recipe pinned! Excited to try it out.

July 23, 2013 at 7:05 am

How strange, I swear I was just at the grocery store yesterday thinking “I want to buy radishes!! But….I don’t know what to do with them”….so I didn’t buy them. No ideas here, I need your help Grace!

grace
      July 24, 2013 at 11:45 am

I feel you. I’m not sure I’ve ever bought them from a grocery store! Usually only use them when randomly obtained from someone’s garden.

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking
    July 23, 2013 at 8:16 pm

Great picture of the radishes. Look forward to seeing pics of your other veggies!

Irina @ wandercrush
    July 24, 2013 at 4:07 am

Excited to hear/see more about your photo project!
    Hmmm, I love using radishes sliced thinly in a fattoush salad. It would be amazing at this time of year, too 🙂 The post is here: http://www.wander-crush.com/2013/05/02/fattoush-salad/

grace
      July 24, 2013 at 11:45 am

I love the fattoush idea! Might have to give this a try tomorrow. Thank you for the recipe link.

shu
    July 27, 2013 at 3:07 am

Sounds like a beautiful project- love photographing veggies too- they’re always so colourful fresh and full of life! Can;t wait to see the rest of the series! Glad my friend pointed me to your blog x