I’m bringing you one of my favorite holiday recipes today, and also one of my most beloved brussels sprouts recipes as a whole.
The colors, textures and earthy-meets-sweet flavor balance going on here has made this dish now an annual tradition in my household each season.
I mean…just look how pretty and festive it is — all thanks to its entirely natural and nourishing ingredients. Win.
I like to shred brussels sprouts because it gives them an almost buttery-like feel upon sautéing. It also turns them into a conversation piece, perhaps even making them a novelty on the holiday table.
Paired with a crunch from the pomegranate seeds — bursting with complimentary color — and from the apples, you get a satisfying bite here with each forkful of sprouts.
The pecans add another layer of crunch, and butteriness, too, rounding out this healthful side with just a splash of richness.
Whether it’s for a holiday feast or even just a post-feasting-week meal, it’s always good to have something green on the table this time of year. And also a veggie dish that won’t get outshined by all of the other good treats that surround it.
Always receiving rave reviews from my various family members, I can assure you this fulfills that promise.
Happy holidays, from my kitchen to yours!
- -2 lbs Brussels sprouts, thinly sliced
- -3 Tbsp. olive oil
- -2 garlic cloves, diced
- -1 lg. lemon, juiced
- -1 firm apple, diced into matchsticks
- -1 Tbsp. maple syrup
- -Seeds from 1/2 pomegranate
- -1/2 slightly heaping cup pecans, toasted over a dry-skillet
- -Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium high. Add garlic and saute for one minute. Stir in brussels sprouts, and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. To the pan, add apples and lemon juice. Drizzle maple syrup on top, and adjust salt and pepper, as needed. Cook another 1-2 minutes, or until apples are warm but still slightly crispy.
- Add pomegranate seeds and cook for another minute, and then remove from heat. Transfer to a bowl. Top with toasted pecans. Best served immediately.