One of my favorite fellow Philly food blogger friends, Emily, recently made a big move to New York.
After numerous failed attempts to plan a “Skype cooking session” together, the chance finally presented itself for me to head up and see Emily’s new place and get back into the kitchen with her.
As two food bloggers, of course we also set out to create a new recipe for y’all, and this Italian-inspired white bean dish over quinoa is what we settled upon.
A generous helping of kale gets added to the mix as does a splash of acidity from some lemon and a punch of garlic, all together working to take white beans to the next level.
We loved this meal because it’s so full of flavor (shout out to the toasted pine nuts, too!) but also incredibly healthy — a welcoming addition to a holiday season full of richness and decadent treats.
We used quinoa as the base for this dish, but feel free to play around and get creative with the grain!
- 1.5 cups dry quinoa
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 lg. onion, chopped
- 2 can cannelloni beans
- 5 cups kale, chopped into thin strips
- Salt, to taste
- Chili pepper flakes, to taste
- 1/3 cup chopped Kalamata olives
- 15 large sun-dried tomato halves in oil, chopped
- 1 small lemon, juiced
- 3 Tbsp. pine nuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- Add quinoa to a pan with 3 cups water. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a low simmer. Cook 20 minutes, until fluffy. Then turn off heat and let rest.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add onions, garlic and a pinch of salt. Sauté until onions are translucent. Add beans and a pinch of chili pepper flakes (to taste), and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in kale, sun-dried tomatoes and olives. Cook another 5 minutes until kale is almost tender. Adjust salt, to taste, and stir in lemon juice. Continue to cook for another minute or so until kale reaches desired tenderness.
- Divide quinoa among bowls. Spoon beans and greens on top and then add a handful of parsley and toasted pine nuts to each bowl. Serve immediately.