These are one of my family’s signature holiday treats. Come Christmas time, and you’ll be sure to find a tin filled with these…although that tin certainly won’t stay full for long! Sweet, fragrant, and extra buttery, what’s not to like about these edible snowballs?
Now, I wouldn’t exactly classify this as one of my healthy recipes. (Okay, so it could be worse. These do have that vitamin E-rich almond-base going for them.) But sometimes a girl’s got to indulge, right? I’m a chocoholic and also happen to have a fairly big sweet tooth. My philosophy: Everything in moderation. Which means every year, I always cease the holidays as a time to pull out the sugar and flour and get baking. Nothing beats the warm smells that flow from the oven or the mouth-watering tastes that ensue! And with that, I’m off…a dinging timer and some cookies in the oven are so sweetly calling my name.
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone!
- -1 cup butter, softened to room temp.
- -1/4 cup confectioners' sugar, plus more for rolling
- -2 cups flour, sifted
- -1 cup finely ground almonds (grind your own into a fine powder, or use pre-made almond meal—Bob's Red Mill is a brand that produces it)
- -1 tsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven 325F.
- In medium bowl, beat butter, sugar, and vanilla until thoroughly combined. Slowly stir in flour and almond meal.
- Roll batter into approx. 1-inch balls. Place on cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, and immediately roll in confectioners' sugar. Cool on rack.