I’ve been chowing down on this light and summery lunch for the past few days. Quinoa and chickpeas team up with garden-grown green beans for a meal that includes a nice array of food groups. What really flavors this dish though is the roasted onions. Sweet, slightly charred hints of flavor permeate the quinoa, lending the dish a robustness while keeping it on the light side. It’s finished off with mint, creating a tabbouleh-like pilaf with a roasted veggie twist.
And just like tabbouleh, this would make a great picnic/party item. It keeps well and tastes great at room temp. Plus, it’s always good to have something healthy on the picnic table!
- Roasted Veggies:
- -3/4 lb. green beans (about 3 cups), trimmed
- -1 jumbo (or 2 medium) red onion, peeled and chopped into 3/4-inch wedges
- -2 Tbsp. lemon thyme (or slightly less regular thyme)
- -1 Tbsp. olive oil
- Assembling the quinoa:
- -1 cup quinoa
- -1 cup chick peas
- -Zest of 1/2 lemon (about 1 tsp.)
- -Juice of 1 large lemon
- -1 Tbsp. of loose mint leaves, minced
- -1 1/2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- -Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place quinoa and 2 cups of water in medium saucepan, covered. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Set aside.
- Preheat oven 425. Line large baking sheet with aluminum foil. Toss green beans, onions, and thyme with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast beans and onions 15 minutes. Stir, and return to oven for another 7-8 minutes, or until beans are tender.
- Cut beans into bite-sized pieces. Toss roasted veggies with quiona. Stir in chickpeas, lemon juice and zest, mint, and oil. Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temp.
Dannon in partnership with the Foodie Blogroll is giving away free yogurt coupons.
Visit the Activia Selects Facebook page to get your FREE coupon now!
This sponsorship is brought to you by Activia Selects who we have partnered with for this promotion.
FREE coupon offer good 8/3 /11 - 8/15/11, up to 1 million coupons, on any Activia Selects Single Serve, up to $3.00. One coupon per household. Offer valid in the U.S only. VOID IN LA, NJ, CA. Coupon valid until 8/15/11. Residents of LA, NJ, CA will be given a '$1 off 3 Activia Selects' coupon.