I’m a huge fan of Horizon’s Tofu Spice, which I make in large batches and store in my spice cabinet to use quite frequently. I recommend you do so too because it makes whipping up tofu an incredibly easy task. Within minutes, it can take a blocky blank canvas and turn it into a flavorful, steak-like centerpiece of a meal.
With this particular instance, I placed my tofu atop a simply seasoned plate of brown rice. Another ingredient I recommend adding to your kitchen is toasted sesame oil. It’s the one flavored oil I try to always keep on hand. It has an aromatic, rich, nutty flavor that’s exceptionally pungent, so a little goes a long way when seasoning food. It’s great for Asian stir-frys, but here I simply use it as is to flavor rice along with a touch of spicy Sriracha.
Once the spice mix is concocted, together, the tofu and rice make my kind of meal — easy, quick and healthy. Vegetarian protein from the tofu, fiber from the brown rice, and flavor from all of the wonderful seasonings makes this an easily satisfying meal for any night of the week. Serve alongside a light salad or your favorite veggie.
- -1-14 oz. block of firm tofu, drained
- -Horizons’ Tofu Spice mix (recipe, here)
- -Olive oil
- -1 cup of rice
- -Toasted sesame oil, to taste
- -Sriracha, to taste
- -Soy sauce, to taste (you won't need a lot because the tofu spice is salty)
- -Chives or spring onions, diced
- Pat dry a tofu block and divide lengthwise into thirds. Liberally coat one side of each slice with Tofu Spice Mix.
- Place a shallow layer of olive oil in a saute pan. Heat until very hot (you’ll see slight ripples, but don’t let it smoke.) Turn off heat and gently lay in the tofu, spice side down. Return to heat, spice the other side, and cook until the bottom side looks golden. Turn off heat and carefully flip tofu slices with a spatula. Turn the heat back on and cook the other side until golden brown.
- Place rice on plate. Very lightly drizzle with sesame oil, soy sauce and Sriracha, to taste. Place tofu on top. Sprinkle with chives or spring onions and serve.