After dodging glaciers all week and layering up till I could’ve been mistaken for the Pillsbury doughboy, today I’m hitting you with another soup recipe. There were one too many icy bike rides taken to work this past week. All called for soup immediately upon return home. Here it is.
‘Tis the season for complaints about the weather, long movies, hibernation and honey. Maybe you should call me Pooh Bear rather than the Pillsbury Doughboy. I hear he likes raw honey in his Earl Grey tea, too.
‘Tis also, of course, the season for soup, and always the season for tahini. Naturally, the two form a partnership in this warming bowl, inspired by a glimpse at Smitten Kitchen. Cue the wedding bells and tears of joy, please.
This is hands-down one of my favorite soups I’ve had yet this season. It’s creamy and sweet from the carrots, and hit with a contrasting tang from a little Greek yogurt and squeeze of lemon. Then it’s topped with a satisfying drizzle of tahini and roasted chickpeas to add in some texture. Seriously ? it has everything going for it.
By the end of his bowl, I caught my friend clanging around his soup spoon as if it were a percussion instrument. Picture a more obnoxious version of a triangle. This soup is that good. It brings music to the ears – good or bad. And is worth every last minute of poorly played instrumentation you might have to endure.
- -1 1/2 lb. carrots, chopped on a diagonal into 1/2-inch slices
- -3 1/2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- -1 small onion, chopped
- -4 cloves garlic, minced
- -1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- -1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- -1 quart veggie broth
- -1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
- -1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- -1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- -1/2 lemon
- -3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt (or substitute coconut yogurt)
- -4 Tbsp. sesame tahini
- -Handful of parsley, chopped
- -Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line large baking sheet with aluminum foil, and toss carrots with 1 1/2 Tbsp. of the olive oil. Sprinkle with salt. Roast for 25-30 minutes, stirring around the 15 minute mark.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. of olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, and saute for 3 minutes, or until beginning to soften. Add the minced garlic, coriander, and red pepper flakes and saute for 2 minutes longer, until the onions begin to caramelize.
- Add the roasted carrots and veggie broth. Bring to a low boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, scatter the chickpeas on the roasting pan used for the carrots. Toss with remaining olive oil, cumin, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Toss to coat evenly, then roast for 15-20 minutes, stirring halfway, until chickpeas start to get slightly crispy.
- Place soup in a blender and puree until smooth. Return to pan, and squeeze in the juice of the lemon. Adjust salt, if needed.
- Spoon the soup into bowls. Top each with a spoonful of yogurt and 1 Tbsp. of tahini, as well as a handful of the roasted chickpeas. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve.